Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The FLAK front is joined!

After not working on the FLAK sweater for a few days, I picked it up on Monday night, picked up stitches for the left side of the front, and knit a couple of inches until I felt the neck was big enough. Last night I did the same for the right side, joined the two, and knit the first row back. From the center of the saddles, it's about 3-1/2" down. (I hope that isn't too big; I knit until I'd increased 8 stitches on either side. I don't like very tight necks in wool anyway) I cast on all of the stitches, both the increasing ones on the neck sides, and the ones at the front, using the cable cast-on. When picking up stitches from the saddles, I found it much more difficult on the right side of the front, which is the left side of the saddle. I remember it was the same when I picked up stitches for the left side of the back (from the left side of that saddle). I wonder if it would make things easier to add an extra stitch on the left side of the saddles, at least ones with a little cable at the edge like these?

Now before I can continue, I have to decide something about the center cables. I realized that if I start the Xs and Os at the correct row number that corresponds with where I am with the sides of the front and the back, I'll be starting at the last cable cross of each letter, then starting the next letter a couple of rows down. This would just look wonky. So I'll have to start with whole Xs and Os. I think I'll probably start with the right-side row that's between two X/O repeats. It won't match up exactly with the back, but who looks at both the back and front at the same time? The back Xs and Os will finish up a couple of rows before the front, so they'll be a couple rows of plain knitting at the bottom, but I think that won't be a problem.

I didn't try cabling the inner snakes yet, either. I did the one on the left, as I had enough stitches to cross, but being so close to the edge, it seemed to pull the edge out of whack, and I thought it would be very hard to pick up neck stitches there. So I undid it, and knit those plain so far.

I finally got caught up reading all the FLAK postings. It sure is interesting what everyone is doing, and great to see all the different yarns and cables everyone is using. I'm glad the next part isn't out yet; it'll give me a chance to finish the front. I noticed that a lot of folks are participating in the Knitting Olympics too, during FLAK down time. Unfortunately I'm missing out on the Olympics, as we only have Globo, Brazilian TV, which keeps DH in touch with his home country. I don't care much for watching TV anyway, and I love the Brazilian novelas, so normally I don't miss having American TV. But I do miss being able to see some of the Olympics, especially the winter ones as I love to watch the figure skating. This weekend Globo starts carnival coverage for a few days, so I was thinking maybe I can do Knitting Carnival? Actually I have a past due wedding quilt I'm supposed to be working on (instead of a sweater for myself!), so maybe it'll be Quilting Carnival!

Here's what I worked on over the weekend:

It's not a lot of knitting, but I worked overtime Saturday and cleaned the kitchen Sunday after church, so I guess I really did accomplish something. I also finally got caught up on reading the FLAK postings. I'm glad the next part isn't out yet, to give me a chance to catch up.

I used up all of the four-color, sewed the sides together, and started I-cording for the handle with the three-color. I think I have enough yarn to go across once, then go back across a second time, entwining the two before I attach the second I-cord. I saw that in felted bag pattern from somewhere, and it looked good. So I really don't have much left to do before it's ready to felt! I think I'll put a zipper in the top.

I took both today's photos in the sun this morning, so the colors are pretty accurate.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deby said...

I really love your color and the XO cables. Very nicely done. You also have a nice start on your Blog. Come visit me if you get a chance, I started mine Jan 1 of this year so its fairly new too.
Your Flak is great!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home